Sunday, March 10, 2013

Veggie Paprikash [ recipe-ish post ]

To be clear, I am not a food blogger. {Shout out to the many amazing food bloggers out there!} So, with that disclaimer out of the way, I have been inspired lately by some amazing recipes -- and photos -- on Pinterest, and my creative juices are on overdrive. Setting out these veggies for dinner the other night, they struck me as too pretty not to capture.

I do love cooking. And yes, I am a photographer. So while this dish isn't exactly traditionally beautiful, it is delicious, and colorful, and I would love to share this pseudo recipe with you ("pseudo" because I never measure anything and this varies every time I make it, so this is really more of an outline than a recipe!)  This all veggie meal is my new favorite, and honestly, too good not to share.





This vibrantly hued creation was inspired after making chicken paprikash for the first time a few months ago. The comfort in that bowl was indescribable, and I got to wondering how those basic comfort flavors would translate in an all veggie dish -- and without the extra carbs in the egg noodles.

As an aside, how GORGEOUS are the colors of fresh ground turmeric and paprika?



If you've been wondering what all the Turmeric fuss is about lately, it is part of the ginger family (ever since buying it for a photo shoot, I now buy the root when I can find it fresh, but here I used the ground spice).

Turmeric has been used for thousands of years, but is one of the wonder spices being praised lately for both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, as well as many other health benefits, including possibly even slow the progression of Alzheimer's.

OK, so, as you'll see below, this dish is not traditionally photogenic, but what it lacks in formal presentation it more than makes up for in COLOR.  And my goodness is this dish ridiculously tasty! My 12 year old son and I think it is every bit as delicious as dessert. If you make it, be sure not to cook too long in order to keep the veggies as firm as possible -- healthier and the extra texture is fabulous.

Seriously. If you think you "don't like vegetables" -- I dare you to try this and not fall in love with the amazing flavor of nothing but real, healthy food. 

Ingredients:

Red Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes (Jewel)
Olive Oil
Onion
Heirloom or Grape tomatoes
Garlic
Hungarian Paprika
Turmeric
Chicken or Veggie Broth
Broccoli
Carrots
Beets
Kale
Marscapone
Salt and Pepper
Crispy Fried Onions (for garnish)


Other ingredients we've loved in here include:

Mushrooms
White Beans
Garbanzo Beans
Cauliflower








Method:

Bring cubed red and jewel potatoes to a boil until just starting to soften (I use Jewel potatoes since learning that they stay firmer than garnet, and I like my veggies firm!).  Remove, drain, and set aside.

Meanwhile, sauté slivered onion in olive oil over med-low heat in olive oil until onions are soft and clear.

Add chopped heirloom or grape tomatoes and garlic

Season with generous amount of paprika (seriously, I use at least a teaspoon -- I personally love Smoked Hungarian Sweet and Spicy) and another heap of ground turmeric. Stir for a moment and allow spices to become fragrant... 
Reduce heat to simmer and add chicken or veggie broth (maybe 1/2 cup? Basically you want enough to mix flavors, spices and create a sauce in which veggies can gently steam without having to cook them too long). 

Add whatever veggies you like next -- we love broccolicarrotscauliflower and beets in this dish... 

Stir the (firm, nearly cooked) potatoes back into rest of veggies... Stir and simmer for just a moment or two, just long enough to barely soften the broccoli, beets and carrots. Everything should still be very firm when you remove it from the heat -- healthiest that way!

Remove from heat, add chopped kale, and a big spoonful of marscapone.  Stir until kale is wilted and marscapone has melted ...

Salt and Pepper to taste... and add Crispy Fried Onions for garnish, if you're so inclined. 

Here's to your health... and your tastebuds!!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Yum! And so visually appealing!