Sunday, January 13, 2013

Modern in Denver | iPhoneography

Modern in Denver magazine blows me away -- consistently -- like no other publication out there. Seriously. Quality of content, graphic design, editorial choices. Love. It.

What a thrill it was when publisher William Logan asked me to contribute a series of iPhone photos to a feature to include iPhoneography of local designers, architects and other Denver creatives.

Deciding on a single theme to contribute was a fulfilling exercise. My iPhone gets FAR more use as a camera than as a phone, so I have no shortage of image collections -- all still growing! Finally I decided on this set, my most consistent muse being uniquely beautiful Colorado light -- in this case in the city. Even in my days as an architect, I was always in fascinated with natural light and how it plays on design elements. Having a phone always on me with which to document fleeting reflections, shadows and other beautiful light-drawn design keeps my senses constantly on alert.

So here's the final collection -- now in print! (the photos below of the magazine captured, of course, via iPhone).  Always exciting to see work in print -- but there's something really special about being able to share these intimate glimpses captured without any final goal in mind other than pure aesthetic whimsy.

As always, even the layout of the feature is beautiful!


Check out the Winter 2013 issue, on stands now (above). Someday I'll have to try that portrait above with a real camera -- captured brilliantly by my son at a local coffee shop. 

Below are of some of the original photos.  iPhoneography has absolutely enhanced my experience of enjoying a spontaneous walk in the city.  And in many cases, these simple captures have even inspired future more official and planned photo shoots. What a fabulous creative tool!


No comments: